Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween 2011

This year we celebrated Halloween three times. The first was at the school for a Monster Mash Dance. The dj was great at getting the kids involved and teaching them new dances. Alyssa liked to dance right next to her brothers. Amidst all the chaos, Spencer actually slept for part of the time. The school gym was packed full of people. I realized I have not been to a dance for ages, and had fun with the kids.

The second celebration was the ward Halloween party. The primary presidency dressed up as the gang from Scooby Doo, and had painted a Mystery Machine out of wood for taking pictures. They had several minute to win it games for the kids to play.

The third was actually going trick or treating on Halloween night. We just went around the block, but our kids ended up with very full bags of candy. The weather was nice and mild, perfect for trick or treating. This morning it started to snow.

Caleb wanted to be a blue ninja this year, since his favorite Lego ninja is Kai. I was thinking I would not be able to find a blue ninja costume, so I decided to just make him one. I used a robe pattern, New Look 6847. I may have traced two different pattern sizes, because when I was ready to attach the band around the neck of the robe, it was about 6 inches shorter than the robe itself. I ended up cutting about 3 inches from the bottom of the robe, and hemming the bottom so it would line up correctly. I also made some pants from a previous pants pattern, just lengthened them to his current height. We used a t-shirt to cover his head, which I found how to do it by watching a youtube video. It was all worth it when Caleb commented that his costume was better than anything we could have found at the store. He loves his new pants, and likes to wear his robe in the morning. I spent $15 on fabric and $4 for the pattern, but it is something I think he will wear and use more than he would with another costume.
Parker used a different costume from our stash for each party. He was a ninja, army guy, and pilot.
Alyssa was a pink pig, although the costume is actually a kitty. She always said she was a pig.
Spencer was a skeleton this year. It was so fun to see the kids in their costumes and have fun.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Where's your picture of Caleb? dying to see the costume.
So funny she calls it a pig.

(my word verification is diana. Think I can spell it right?)

Mortar and Pestle Mom said...

Cute kiddos as always!