My brother turned the big 40 this weekend, and my sister-in-law threw him a surprise party. She called to invite me a few months ago, but I did not really think I would go since they live about 1,800 miles away. My parents have been planning to go for my brother's 40th for a long time. They seem to remember that Danny gave my dad grief when my dad turned 40. After talking with my sisters, we all decided to go and be a part of the surprise. I left early Friday morning with my sister Jennifer, and it was so nice to have her as a traveling companion for Spencer and I. We arrived a few hours before the party started, so we went to a friend's house to wait. Then we went early to the restaurant and had some dinner before the party started. My brother plays in an Italian Polka band, and thought his band was playing a gig at the restaurant for an anniversary party. Everyone did a great job keeping it a surprise, so he did not expect to come into the room with about 50 friends and family. My dad had rewritten lyrics to some songs to celebrate my aging brother, which we sang. One was to the tune of On Top of Old Smoky. On top of old Danny, once covered with hair. The dome is now shiny, the dome is now bare. My sister-in-law made a great cake with an old man in a wheelchair on top with a vague resemblance to my brother. She also made gourmet cupcakes that were fabulous. The band did play, which was so fun to hear my brother play. He loves music, and has always been able pick up nearly anything and play a tune. It was fun to see him in that part of his life, which is so special to him.
Saturday we slept late, walked around some nearby parks, and had lasagna for dinner. Sam and Emily were so excited to see Spencer. Sam said that babies are a little bit like gerbils, because they wiggle a lot. Emily said that Spencer was the cutest thing ever. Sam gave up his room so that Spencer and I had a room of our own, and slept on Emily's floor. Thanks Sam and Emily! Emily sang "Moon River" while Danny played the guitar. Then she sang "Star Spangled Banner" while Dad played piano and Danny played harmonica.
Spencer did a great job on the planes, and only cried a little bit as we landed in Chicago on our way there. He is at the age where he likes to be snuggled, so was happy to just sleep in my arms. I forgot to take a camera, or grab pictures from others cameras, so I will have to see if I can get some photos.
A huge thanks to Keith for taking Friday off work and taking care of the kids all weekend so that I could go.
No comments:
Post a Comment