
I decided this week would be TV Turnoff week at my house, but actually it will only be Monday through Thursday. I have been feeling like my kids watch too much TV, and just get to much "screen time." Parker woke up this morning and asked if he could watch Scooby Doo before breakfast. I explained to him that we were not going to watch TV until Friday, and he almost cried. I quickly told him that we would make a list of fun things to do this week instead of watching TV. I also let the boys have 30 minutes of computer time to use how they want. I am also limiting my computer time, since I get sucked in when I sit down to check email.
So today I let the kids run through the sprinkler and eat popsicles with the neighbors. We spent about an hour reading library books. We visited the Kennecott Copper Mine. We played trains, and the boys built with Legos. Although I have been there a couple of times, I am still amazed at how deep it is and the size of the dump trucks. We did watch a short video about the mine, but I do not think that counts as TV.
2 comments:
Great idea! Let us know how it goes for you! I'm curious to see if you notice a difference in your home. We don't have any TV channels at our house, but we have too many videos. Ugh.
Hats off to you! (I've only done TV turnoff week during the school year). In fact, when I read the title out loud to N, the next words out of my mouth were, "Why is she doing it during the summer?"
Post a Comment