Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend



We bought a new couch from RC Willey. This is the first couch we have paid more than $30, and are excited to have it. Please come visit and sit on it with us.
When we first got married we had a pile of blankets in place of a couch. The first couch we ever had was sitting on the side of the road, and I told Keith about it. He dragged it into our basement apartment and cleaned it up. It even came complete with phone books under the cushions, to prevent you from sinking too low. Our second couch we bought for about $30 while we were living in student housing. Our third couch was given to us from Marilee when she bought new couches. Our fourth couch came from my parents, along with coordinating chairs. We still have them in the living room. We finally bought our first nice couch. I will have to add a picture later.

Friday night we camped in our living room. Keith set up our big tent, and everyone except Alyssa slept in the tent. It was fun to camp, and was a whole lot easier than actually going camping.

Sunday we went to Eatough's house to celebrate Becky's birthday.

Monday we had Game Lunch at our house with Wes's family and Laura. Keith grilled the best chicken I think I have ever tasted. The flavor was delicious, and it was so tender and juicy. We had chicken quesadillas tonight for dinner with the leftovers, and it was still the best chicken. The boys had fun playing with their cousins, and Alyssa let other people hold her. She is getting better at not crying if someone else tries to hold her. She does better if she is facing out. That is how I usually hold her, and she likes to see what is going on.

Monday night for FHE Keith taught a lesson about Captain Moroni and related it to the reason we celebrate Memorial Day. Then we made smores around our fire pit on the back patio. The kids had fun roasting marshmallows.

Today was a beautiful day. I had preschool at our house and we talked about how choosing the right makes us happy. I talked with one of the other mothers later in the day and she wondered what I taught the kids. Her daughter came home and said that I told them that Heavenly Father wants us to choose the right and if we do we get to return to live with him. If we choose the left we won't be happy. The kids colored a paper with a smiley face on one side and a frowning face on the other side. We talked about different scenarios and they held up the smiling or frowning face to show how the person would feel. Today was my last day to be in charge. It has been fun for me, and I think Caleb and Parker have enjoyed it as well. Caleb made a comment to me that when he goes to school he will learn math, but at preschool he learns about Jesus. Our Joy School has been different than what he will learn in regular school, but is perhaps more important than many things he will be taught in school.

This afternoon I took the kids for a walk around the block. Then we went across the street to color with sidewalk chalk and see the neighbors' guinea pigs. One of the guinea pigs ran away and was lost temporarily in the bushes. When we came back to our house we played out front for a while longer. Alyssa was playing in the plastic house/garden we received from Marilee. She was practicing standing up, with a little support from me. I put the house near my lilac bushes, which are at their prime right now, so I could enjoy the fragrance as we played. When I was growing up the next door neighbors had lilac bushes outside my window, and I loved them in the springtime. That is a huge reason I wanted lilac bushes in my own yard. Caleb was pretending to go to work. He walked over to the driveway and got in the plastic car. When he came back he asked me to guess what he had been doing for work. Every time he came back he had been doing a different job, several of which were in China. It was fun to enjoy the great weather and have fun playing with my kids. I don't take time to just play as often as I probably should.

No comments: