President Benson gave 10 suggestions that can help you teach your children. Each of them emphasizes taking time:
“Take time to always be at the crossroads when your children are either coming or going … whether your children are six or sixteen. …
“… Take time to be a real friend to your children. …
“… Take time to read to your children. …
“… Take time to pray with your children. …
“… Take time to have a meaningful weekly home evening. … Make this one of your great family traditions. …
“… Take time to be together at mealtimes as often as possible. …
“… Take time daily to read the scriptures together as a family. …
“… Take time to do things together as a family. …
“… Take time to teach your children. Catch the teaching moments. …
“… Take the time to truly love your children. A mother’s unqualified love approaches Christlike love” (To the Mothers in Zion, 8–12).
So here it goes to my Mom. I was thinking of waiting for Mother's Day, but why wait. I will use the above quote as an outline. I remember my Mom taking me to my first day of kindergarten. I remember being in high school and coming home for lunch, and my Mom was there to sit down with me. It was nice to know she was there, and is still just a phone call away. My Mom has come to help out after I have had each of my three children. Each time she comes she sleeps on an air mattress in the family room, which she puts away each morning and blows up each night. She didn't want to disturb any of the kids from their own beds. She helped me with Caleb when I had to take him to the doctor for the first time and was so worried about taking him anywhere. Still new to nursing a baby I asked her, "What if he gets hungry?" She calmly replied, "You feed him." My Mom worked at Hart's Wedding Village for a while, I honestly don't remember how long. But I never felt like she wasn't available to me. I remember occasionally riding my bike to go and see her or being to call her on the phone. Beth and I even went with her to Idaho when she was getting trained. Here is Mom with Caleb.
My Mom has always been a good friend. My elementary school used to have "Hot Dog Days." As the youngest child I remember feeling sad that I was missing out while my older siblings were in school. I remember one day Mom and I had "Hot Dog Day" at home. I don't ever remember a time when I didn't feel like I could talk to my Mom. I still enjoy calling her just to visit. I remember my Mom teaching me to play Jacks and Pick Up Sticks on the linoleum that looked like rocks by the front door. She also played Screwie Louie (a card game) with me.
Reading. My Mom used to take me to the library as a kid, and now I love taking my own children to the library. Whenever I would ask Mom what a word meant, she would encourage me to look it up in the dictionary. She has also helped me learn to love the scriptures. I remember as a child preparing a talk for church and being amazed that she just knew scriptures off the top of her head about various topics.
Prayer. I was taught young to pray, and don't ever remember not praying. She always taught us to pray over our meals and to have family prayer.
Family Home Evening. We had family home evening when I was a child growing up. One of my favorite games was Huckabucka Beanstalk. One person hides a thimble while the other family members are in a different room. The other members come back and when you find the thimble you sit down and say Huckabucka Beanstalk.
Mealtimes. It seems like we often ate together as a family. I remember especially sitting down in the dining room on Sundays to eat. When Dad was the bishop we would sometimes eat before he returned, but it seems like we always sat down to eat. My Mom is a great cook and loves to entertain and invite friends over for dinner. She likes to cook Hot and Sour Soup and Egg Rolls or Jambalaya for a crowd. Her meals are presented beautifully and with elegance. She uses nice serving bowls, and I don't ever remember her putting a pot from the stove onto the kitchen table to serve it. Here she is helping the kids make gingerbread houses.
Reading scriptures. I remember reading scriptures as a family, and seeing my Mom study the scriptures. A few years ago my Mom got to teach gospel doctrine, and I know she spent much time in studying and preparing for those lessons.
Family Activities. I remember cleaning the house together on Saturday mornings and going for a drive up the mountain. When I was young I was always scared we would fall off the side of the road as we made our way up the mountain. I remember taking trips as a family, especially to visit our grandparents. I remember singing together as a family in the car, but also at home. As I prepared to audition for the Children's Chorale, I practiced "My Country Tis of Thee" in the living room in front of my family. When I was in elementary school we went to Puerto Vallarta for Christmas which was great fun.
Teaching. My Mom has taught me more things than I can even imagine, but a few I remember specifically are learning to fry eggs, make pancakes, and cut apples. I learned how to do many things just by being around her and watching the things she did. She has always been a great visiting teacher.
Love. I have always felt love from my Mom. Since I am four years younger than Beth I had a few years of parents all to myself. When I was a senior in high school I sang in a choir and skiied on the Cross Country team. Our choir was supposed to sing at Jazz Festival after the ski bus left for a meet in Jackson. My mom wanted me to be able to do both, so she let me sing with the choir and drove me to Jackson herself. I don't remember how the weather was on the trip, but if you know my Mom you know that she would rather be on the beach at Ocean City than stuck in a blizzard in the middle of Wyoming. Yet she still was willing to drive me at least five hours so I could ski in the ski meet.
I was talking to my Mom last week about Keith being on call, and she mentioned how the oil business can be unpredictable and how when Dad had to check on a well he would have to leave suddenly day or night. Although he did travel quite a bit, I never felt instability because my Mom was always there and took care of everything in his absence. Now that I am getting old, I am starting to realize how short the time I have with my children in my home really is and I hope I can be good for them like my Mom is for me. I just feel so grateful for the wonderful mother I have been blessed with and thought some of you would appreciate hearing about her, too.


3 comments:
Loved, loved, loved this tribute to your mom! Thanks for showing how I can be a better mom too!
You're always so thoughtful & insightful! I always learn something I need to work on when reading your blog. Thanks for the quote. I love it!
Mom is great! We are so lucky to have her in our lives. Someday I will write a tribute to her titled, "My Mom, the Artist."
Post a Comment