Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

Grandma with Caleb

Thank you to my own mother, who has been here for the birth of each of my children. She always sleeps on the air mattress when she comes, and never complains about it. When I had Caleb she was here the first time I took him to the doctor. I was so worried about it. "What do I do if he gets hungry while we are at the doctor's office?" I asked her. She calmly replied, "you feed him."

With Parker
She came to take care of Caleb when I had Parker. Since I went a week past my due date with Parker, she kept me company and reassured me that babies come when they are ready.
With Alyssa

Alyssa came a few days early, and Mom flew in the night Alyssa was born. Then she stayed for a while to help out with 3 kids. She has already said that she will come this August. I am most worried because #4 is due right before school starts. Alyssa may also start going to preschool at the school as well, so how will I get two kids to school, one to preschool, and feed a new baby all when I have had no sleep? I feel hope that four kids did not kill my mom, so it probably won't kill me either.

I am also thankful to my mother in law. She raised a wonderful son, who became my husband. She taught him about hard work. She has moved unselfishly twice to care for others; first to take care of her parents, and then to be with her son in law and grandchildren when Glena was diagnosed with terminal cancer.
Many other women have had a great influence in my life; mothers of my friends, aunts, sisters, seminary teachers, young women leaders, school teachers, choir directors, sisters in Relief Society, and friends. Today is a great day to reflect on the many amazing women that have helped me to become who I am today, and celebrate the opportunity I have to be a mother.

No comments: