Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The End of Parker's Binky

Parker has had a binky since he was a baby. When Keith first started our blog we had a picture of Parker with 3 pacifiers in his mouth all at once. My visiting teacher mentioned cutting binky use to naptime and bedtime, so a few months ago we started that. He still like having two, but we weaned him to just one binky. For a while we used a pants hanger to hang up Parker's binky after he woke up. Last week we forgot to hang it up, and somehow the binky made it downstairs. Parker had it in his mouth and I asked him to take it upstairs. He didn't want to take it upstairs, so I asked him if we should throw it away. He said he wanted Caleb to throw it away. I was a little hesitant, but wanted to encourage it. We gave him a treat for being a big boy and throwing it away. He was fine that afternoon since he was used to being without it during the day. That night when it was nearly bedtime Keith found Parker digging in the kitchen garbage. He decided maybe he didn't really want to throw his binky out, but Keith convinced him that we don't go through the garbage. That day I had also given him a stuffed bunny because he had seen one in a book he was reading, and I had one in with the Easter decorations. I told Parker he got a new bunny instead of his binky. He said he wanted to throw the bunny away and have his binky on his bed. He has cried for it a little bit, but overall has done very well adjusting to life without his beloved binky.

2 comments:

Alison said...

I love binky's for when they're babies, but when it comes time to wean, I completely dread it and wonder why we let them have one to begin with. Doug asked when we were going to wean Ethan, and I am not ready at all. I'm glad to hear things are going pretty well with Caleb. I hope it continues well!

Anonymous said...

Diana is attached to her binky, too. She asks for it, "PACI?" It is beginning to get a hole in it, so when it ceases to function (which is going to be fairly soon) we will be at the end of the paci, too.

Congrats to Parker on making this big step into boyhood! It is great that it went so well, considering where he started.