Sunday, April 6, 2014

Spring Break

Spring Break started early this year.  The kids got out early on Thursday, had Friday off, then had a whole week off school!  Friday we met Keith downtown, and walked over to the mall for lunch.  Then Keith took Caleb and Parker to the LEGO movie, and I went to the airport to pickup my sister and niece who came for the General Women's Meeting. That night we had an impromptu piano recital with Bryn, Caleb, and Parker demonstrating their skills.  I love watching my boys get excited to play for someone else, and makes all the hard work worth it. 

Saturday night I watched the broadcast of the first ever General Women's Meeting (for all female members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints eight years and up).  It was amazing to feel the power of so many women and girls joined together throughout the world, especially when the young girls were invited to stand and sing "Teach Me to Walk in the Light". 

Sunday we enjoyed having Beth and Bryn come to church with us, then Bryn and Spencer made us a yummy dessert, Cheesecake Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars.  I won't tell you how many of them I ate, but it is a combination of two of my very favorite desserts.  They are hard to resist.  

Monday morning Beth and I took our kids to tour BYU.  We also stopped by the Museum of Art and saw the Sacred Gifts exhibit.  I was hesitant about taking my kids to see it, but they did remarkably well.  Beth encouraged me to take them because they will never learn to appreciate great art if I never expose them to it.  I was glad I took them.  Many of the paintings are familiar, but to see them in person was amazing and awe-inspiring.  Christ on the Cross by Carl Bloch shows so much raw, human emotion of the women at the base of the cross.  The lighting of The Resurrection, also by Bloch, was so bright and realistic, and I felt such a feeling of reverence looking at the paintings.  We ate lunch outside, then walked over to the creamery.  I have two other nieces attending BYU, and two sisters-in-law that work there.  They were all able to meet us for ice cream which was so fun.  Then we had to take Beth and Bryn back to the airport so they could go home. I wished they could have stayed forever. 

Tuesday the kids and I all went to visit the dentist, and no cavities!  That night I helped the Young Women in our ward work on sewing pioneer skirts and bonnets because they are going on Trek at Martin's Cove this summer. 

Wednesday we headed up north to the Hill Aerospace Museum.  I have driven past many times, and have always thought it would be cool to see.  They have two giant hangars full of planes inside, and some larger planes outside.  Spencer liked the freedom to go around, but I don't think he paid much attention to the planes.  He did slow down enough to walk past a display of flags of all 50 states.  They were lined up alphabetically, and we were going backwards past them, but he stopped when he got to Maryland and said he liked that one (my Mom will love that). 

Then we stopped at the LEGO store on our way home.  The kids were all excited when Keith let them pick out a small set that he bought for them.  We also stopped at RedBox to get a movie for the kids, and while Keith picked out the movie Caleb mentioned that this ranks with the best Spring Break ever.  We had a babysitter for the late afternoon and early evening.  We went to look at sliding glass doors and bathroom flooring, and had dinner together.  It was nice to spend some time together. 

Thursday we went to The Leonardo, a museum downtown.  They currently have a display of the Dead Sea Scrolls.  It was amazing to see them.  The kids had fun with some of the more interactive exhibits.  They made clay creations, stop-motion videos, and played in front of a green screen.  

Thursday night the boys had a sleepover with the neighbor boys at our house, and Friday we took all of the kids to play at Classic Fun Center.  They had fun jumping on the big bounce houses, playing in the jungle, and the older boys went into the Blast Zone.  We tried rollerskating, but most of us only made it halfway around.  Our family still needs a lot of practice.  We ate lunch in the car, then walked around the outside of the Oquirrh Mountain Temple. 

Saturday and Sunday we watched and listened to General Conference.  Sunday the kids played Conference Squares, and when they get five in a row they get a treat.  Several years ago I printed off the cards and covered them with clear contact paper.  It is a great way to get the kids to listen to conference.  We also had a birthday lunch on Sunday to celebrate a niece, nephew, and Keith's brother's birthdays.  It is always fun to see family. 

1 comment:

Mortar and Pestle Mom said...

You were busy! Is the Leonardo good for little kids (like my kids age?). Just curious...