Monday, August 27, 2012

First Day of School

Ready for 3rd Grade
 Caleb said he did not want to go to school this year.  He is upset because it takes away from his time to play, but deep down I think he was really excited to go.  His best friend from school moved this summer and will be at a different school, so that could be part of his hesitation.  When we got to school he helped show Parker where to go, then was off to his own classroom without even looking back. 
Caleb, Alyssa, and Parker ready to go
 I told the boys I needed to take their picture before we left for school this morning, and Caleb asked why.  I told him this was a historic occasion.  He did not think it was very historic, so I explained this will be the only time he starts 3rd grade unless of course he flunks and has to repeat it.  He thought there was only a one percent chance of that happening, so he complied with my request. 
Parker's silly picture for First Grade
The school mascot is a rocket, which is why Parker grabbed the rocket for his photos.  I took him into his class this morning to help him get settled.  He starts with French in the morning, so he has no idea what his teacher is saying to him.  It was a little disconcerting to leave him, and he seemed a little nervous but I am hoping he will pick up French quickly. 

I have been really excited for the kids to go back to school, so I was a little surprised that I was getting teary-eyed when we went to drop them off.  They will both be gone all day, which will take some adjusting for Parker especially. 

1 comment:

Beth said...

The conversation about why it was historic is great. Good thing you wrote it down.