Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Feeling overwhelmed

I have been thinking about all the things I do, and how I do not feel like I have time to do all the things on my to do list. I found this amazing talk given by Julie B. Beck. She puts things into three categories: essential, necessary, and nice to do. I think I have been spending too much time in the nice to do category, thus neglecting the other two categories.

Sometimes I make things harder than they need to be. Caleb wants to be Anakin Skywalker for Halloween. Last night I started thinking how much fabric I would need to make a tunic, vest, sash, and belt. Today I went looking for costumes while he was at school, before I attempted to make him one. I found a costume, but Caleb told me it is not at all what he wants. All he wanted was black pants, a black shirt, and a light saber borrowed from his brother. We went looking in his drawer and found the clothes. He is happy, and I wonder why I tried to make it so complicated. I should have asked him his vision of the costume before I went to the store. I could have saved myself some time today, and tomorrow when I take that costume back to the store.

1 comment:

Corri said...

I cannot believe lately how much EVERYONE that I know has been feeling like this. It is incredible, and it scares me. I am trying to balance accepting that "life is busy" and making some changes so that we can have more peace in our lives.

Let us know if you come up with any helpful ideas that work for you!