Friday, January 30, 2009

Fresh ground wheat flour and an oven

I found this in a cookbook that came with my Bosch mixer, and thought some of you might also find it interesting.

"Wheat flour only retains top nutritional value for 3-5 days at room temperature, 10 days in the fridge and 3-4 weeks in the freezer."

Since reading this I grind enough wheat to make about 20 cups of flour. That is enough to make bread twice and have a little left over to add to any other baking I may do.

Here is a picture of the new oven we got for Christmas. It has three racks, so I have made baked three cookie sheets of cookies and rolls all at the same time. Thank you Keith, Mom and Dad, and Glen and Judy. It is a convection oven, and I can bake my bread in 20-24 minutes. The loaves are beautiful and nice and evenly browned. I don't even have to cover them with foil while baking!



1 comment:

Beth said...

Interesting about the wheat. For the most part we grind as we go, perhaps now I will store in the fridge the little bit that is always left over. Thanks for sharing.

Love the new oven. Can't wait to eat something baked inside that oven.

I miss you!