I wanted to record what it is like to follow Spencer around for a day. Yesterday I went to school with Spencer and Alyssa in the morning for about an hour and a half to help check the 2nd grade homework for the week. I let Spencer walk, instead of containing him in the stroller. I had the stroller with me so I could put him in it once I got up to the workroom where I meet several other moms to volunteer. So we took the elevator up to the 2nd floor. As we rode up the elevator Spencer decided to push the help button. A phone started to ring and a recorded voice started repeating the school's name and address stating this was an emergency call. I stayed by the elevator with the stroller until someone picked up so I could explain there was no emergency, just my two year old. In the meantime Spencer took off running down the hall and around the corner into the restroom. Did I mention we started potty training? Thankfully it was a girls restroom and Alyssa saw where he went. We made it to the bathroom without any accidents.
Then once we got to the workroom I put Spencer in the stroller and handed him a bag of Cherrios to try to keep him busy for a few minutes. He dumped them all out on the tray of the stroller, then began throwing them all on the floor. He stayed in the stroller for a while, so I actually was able to help a little bit. Eventually he decided he was done so I got him out so he could play with Alyssa. He proceeded to open every cupboard and drawer until he found a giant bag of Lifesavers, that belonged to a different grade. He only ate one before I caught him.
I also volunteered in Kindergarten. Spencer sat more peacefully in the stroller since he was able to watch the pet goldfish, although eventually I let him out. He found a game that he played a different week with another boy who was there with his mom. One of the playing pieces had broken a little on the bottom, so Spencer decided to throw it away. I fished it out of the garbage and washed it, because it was still usable. We went down to the library after the class did so I could meet with a few more students. As we were walking down the hall Spencer's pants and underwear just fell right down as we happened to walk right by one of the teachers. She commented on it, and I just grinned thinking it was good he was two and so cute that he can get away with that.
While I was meeting with one of the students in a small room within the library, Spencer decided to escape. When I came out to look for him one of the students informed me that she saw him leave the library. He was nearly to the end of the hall, headed for the doors to go out back to the playground. At least he was fully clothed this time.
Later in the classroom he started to play in the drinking fountain. He figured out how to stick his finger in it so that it would spray high up on the wall. His sleeves got soaked, but he loved it. He did use the bathroom in kindergarten, which he loved because it was just the right size for him.
At the end of class one of the kids handed out some candy. Spencer was very excited that he got a small bag of peanut M&Ms. His face and hands were all different colors to prove how much he liked it.
He bit holes in his last binky about a week ago. He would only use it at night and naps and is doing pretty well without it, but some days he only naps for 40 minutes. Yesterday he woke up after 40 minutes. I went in his room and snuggled him in his chair. He slept for nearly another hour, and I think I slept almost as long.
Today after he used the bathroom I gave him a treat from Dad's candy, orange and grape Twizzlers. He liked it so much that he used the bathroom two more times within 30 minutes to he could have another of Dad's treats. One time I made the mistake of unwrapping the candy for him. He was in tears and threw it on the floor because he wanted to rip it. Last week we went to Wes's house for dinner. Spencer loved Wes's candy basket so much that he used the toilet almost non-stop.
We stopped to use the restroom in the church before taking Caleb and Parker home from a birthday party. After I helped Spencer wash hands, I set him down so I could help Alyssa reach the sink. He went into the stall and locked the door and started flushing the toilet, which is one of his favorite things to do. Thankfully I was able to use my key to turn the lock and open the door, instead of crawling under.
I found Spencer today on the basement stairs with a giant container of Tang powder he found in the storage room. He had taken off the lid, removed the seal, and looked like he was about to dig in. I found him just before there was a giant Tang cloud to clean up.
Caleb mopped the bathroom floor, then left the mop bucket in the laundry room because I intended to mop some other rooms. Spencer went in the bathroom and grabbed the mop because we wanted to help. Unfortunately he doesn't know how to wring out the mop yet, so it was very wet. I can't remember why I could not clean it up immediately. I think he may have had an accident and needed a bath. I think Keith ended up drying the bathroom floor.
After removing him from his bath, with kicking and screaming, he ran and got back into the empty tub. He grabbed the soap and started scrubbing and playing. I rinsed his hands in the sink and he was so upset that I was not washing his feet.
I don't remember if my other kids got into as many things as he does, or if I am just more distracted because I have three other kids. It is always an adventure with a two year old in the house.
4 comments:
2 and 3 year olds are exhausting!!! (How's that for stating the obvious?)
Whew! I think that you're right about the "having three other kids" thing... they can get into more because you're busier!
Sounds like he's got a knack for it, doesn't he? The candy basket at Wes & Becky's is pretty funny.
Oh little boys. I'm not sure I have the energy for that once my little guy is mobile :) I've been able to keep up with my little girls because I feel like they aren't as mischevious as little boys. We'll see with our little guy :)
Post a Comment