I made size 2, view F with a few modifications. I lengthened the skirt by about 2 inches, so it should fit her for quite a while. Rather than putting ribbon on the bottom of the skirt and overskirt, I put it where the bodice meets the skirt and just on the bottom of the overskirt. This left enough ribbon to make a bow for the front and a hair bow as well. I appreciated the input of my neighbor as I wondered where to put the ribbon. Rather than sewing the bow onto the dress, I safety pinned it on thinking the bow might not look so good after it goes through the wash.
The new skill I learned making this dress was how to make French seams on the overskirt. I am thrilled with how the dress turned out, and just hope that she wants to wear it. Thanks to Beth for this pattern! I went to the store with another pattern in hand, but when I found these two fabrics I knew I wanted to make a different dress. Thankfully that morning I had looked at this pattern, and amazingly was able to recall the pattern number while at the store. I pulled the pattern from the stores files so I knew how much fabric I needed to buy. The fabric was on a great sale, and I got it for about $5! Total cost for the dress was about $12 including thread and ribbon, about 8 hours of sewing time, and two trips to Hancock.
4 comments:
It's beautiful! Great sewing. You must be so happy to not have to think about getting it done anymore.
I wondered what that black line in the background was.
And, I agree 100% about having your sewing space.
She looks so cute in that dress. If you are going to leave off the bow you might want to consider sewing a snap to it. That way you don't have to worry about pinning it on.
So cute. I love the color on her too!!!
The dress looks awesome! You are really getting quite talented with your sewing machine!
Post a Comment