Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Black Skirt - Butterick 5421

I get to sing in the choir for the General Relief Society Meeting on September 25th, and we are supposed to wear a black skirt and white blouse. So I decided to make a black skirt. I have had the pattern since December or January. My favorite parts of the pattern are the yoke at the top of the skirt and the diagonal seam across the skirt. The pattern says that this is fast and easy. It probably took me 7-8 hours to make the entire skirt, including shopping for fabric and cutting it out. I did have to ask for help with the facing for the yoke. I learned how to understitch, and I finally learned how to use my twin needle to finish the hem. I am currently borrowing a serger, so the inside seams are serged. So it was not particularly fast or easy, but I have another wearable sewing project. It is made from a polyester/rayon gabardine fabric that drapes very well, doesn't wrinkle, and is machine washable.
As I was working on this project Keith asked if I ever thought that I would rather make a skirt than buy one. For many years of my life I would rather have gone shopping, but now I love to sew. I loved picking the pattern and fabric, so I would have just what I wanted. I had a little difficulty finding a white blouse that I liked. The one I ended up getting was very sheer, so I got a white 3/4 length t shirt to wear under it. As I was looking for blouses I thought that maybe I should have made my own blouse instead of a skirt.

4 comments:

Beth said...

It looks great! Fun that you were able to use the serger. I like that you wrote about how long it took. I should keep track, too (so I can see progress).

Alveybunch said...

Good job! You are becoming quite the susie homemaker! Way to go Laura!

Wendy said...

awesome sewing...don't think I would have the patience...I will be looking for you singing at the conference. How very EXCITING!

MetroParks said...

I love the shape of the skirt how it flares at the bottom and has a natural ruffle-type look.