I bought a pack of fat quarters last fall when I decided I wanted to make a table runner and even found a pattern at http://licensetoquilt.com/love-making-table-runners/ for a One Hour Table Runner. I don't feel confident in my ability to choose coordinating fabrics, so the pack was very helpful to me. This fall I actually got it started and complete, just in time for Thanksgiving, although it took me way more than one hour! Too bad there is a blizzard warning and my mom, the amazing quilter, isn't going to make it to my table this year.
This is the first time I have ever attempted anything like this, so it was a great learning process. The bright green was a piece I had in my stash, but I can't remember why. It fit well with the other colors. I bought the backing and binding pieces this year when I got to the point of needing them. I didn't calculate how much fabric I would need for the backing and was short, so I had to do a little piecing on the back to make it work. Now, the back might be my favorite part.
I used my regular sewing machine and machine quilted the diagonal lines with tan thread in my needle and white in my bobbin. My mom taught me how to bind a quilt just before Spencer was born, but I forgot most of what she taught me. I watched this video for help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWh90tXr7g4
I attached my binding almost entirely with my machine, although when I stitched in the ditch I didn't catch the back of the binding in many places and had to go back and fix many spots. Maybe next time I will just hand stitch it. Overall, I am pleased with how it turned out.
2 comments:
It looks great! Did you cut the triangles and sew two together to create rectangles then sew them together? I like pieced backs too! Wish I could see it in person.
Yes, I cut the triangles and then made rectangles. Thanks!
Post a Comment