Monday, September 19, 2011

One month old

Spencer is one month old. It is amazing how much faster the first month of his life goes, than the last month of the pregnancy. I had a friend ask how I liked being surprised by his gender when he was born. It was exciting to finally meet him, and find out he was a boy. Probably the best part was when Keith was talking to our other children on the phone to let them know the baby had been born. Keith was on his cell, but I could hear the boys cheer that it was a boy! While I was pregnant it was funny to hear people's reaction when I told them I did not find out the baby's gender. Many people commented that they were not patient enough to wait. I was not too surprised we were having a boy. I thought it was a boy initially, then for a couple of months I was thinking it was a girl, but at the end I went back to my thoughts we were having a girl. About a week before he was born I had a dream that I was holding a newborn baby boy, which further convinced me of his gender. I also had a dream he had long tufts of fur growing on his legs, thankfully that part did not come true! I think if I were to have another baby that I would probably find out the gender before the baby was born. I had some stress not knowing what I needed to get ready, and it would have been fun to sew something for the baby.
Overall I feel like this has been my easiest adjustment after having a baby. My labor and delivery went so quickly and easily that physically I felt great not long after he was born. It was also easier since Keith took the first week off work, and my mom was here most of Spencer's first two and a half weeks of life. He has been sleeping great at night, which for me has been a huge blessing. Most nights he only wakes up once to eat, and will have a period of about six hours of continuous sleep. He has slept as long as seven hours at a time. We usually swaddle him to sleep, which he seems to like quite a bit.

That said, there are times when it is so crazy. Take this afternoon for example from 3:45 until about 6:45. Spencer nursed at 2:20, 4:20, and 6:00. He hardly ever eats that frequently. Caleb and Parker were trying to get homework done. I received two telephone calls about Relief Society. We generally eat at 6, but I had a crying baby who could not wait. Thankfully we had enough leftovers in the fridge, so we could just reheat them after I finished nursing. This is always such a hectic time of day, and my kids are not even in any extra activities right now. If anyone has any helpful tips for managing everything at that time of day let me know, or any favorite recipes to simplify dinner.

1 comment:

Corri said...

I'm glad that you are doing so well! I am sorry about those pre-dinner crazy hours, though. I think that is still the hardest time of the day for me.

One thing that helps me (a little) is to decide first thing in the morning which meal we'll be having for dinner, and then I try to get as much of the prep work (chopping, getting everything out onto the counter) as I can during the morning, so that the evening prep is easier.

Still, though, it's hard. Cooking is my least favorite job.

Thanks for sharing your experience with waiting to find out the gender. It seems like a lot of people that I know are doing it that way, but I was very curious to know what you thought about how it went. I think that my feelings about the matter might be similar to yours!