I was inspired by this blog post on Presser Foot. She used one pattern several ways to create different shirts, then lengthened it to make a dress. Since I have a nice pattern for a maternity top, I decided to try lengthening it to make myself a new dress. I must have forgotten the measure twice, cut once rule because when I sewed the front to the back it was about six inches longer in the front than the back. Then I made it worse one night when I decided to try and even them out. Thankfully it started out quite long, so the end product still falls below my knees although not as long as I originally envisioned. My sister came to town, and helped pin up the bottom hem for me. Rather than adding a faux cami panel at the top, I decided to just wear a t shirt underneath since the fabric is a bit sheer and 100% polyester. Now that it is finally done, I am not sure that I love it as much as I hoped I would. It is very comfortable, and after wearing it to church I can say that I will definitely wear it again.

I also decided to make myself another maternity shirt. I was going to use white interlock for the contrasting bands, but decided I liked the black better. I modified this trick for adding the faux cami panel on this shirt. I did sew clear elastic to the top of the panel piece, and it seems to help keep it flat and in place. This time I shortened the top pieces of the bodice by one inch, which seems to be a better fit for my body. I also left off the ties on this one. Now I have made one pattern three ways!
1 comment:
Very nice! And I like the length of the dress!
Post a Comment