Thursday, January 13, 2011

When saying no actually means yes

Photo from a few weeks ago of Parker and Alyssa playing by the dominoes Parker set up

Today I had this thought that when I say no to one thing, I may be saying yes to something else. I love taking my kids to storytime at the library. Parker enjoys it and usually looks forward to the craft at the end. Alyssa is learning to sit on the rug with the other kids, but I don't know that she really gets anything from the stories. She also likes making crafts. We usually check out some books afterward. Today I decided that I just could not do it today, and said no to storytime. My bathrooms desperately needed cleaning, I wanted to exercise since I have not exercised at all this week, I knew Caleb would be getting home early today from school, the kids and I all had dentist checkups, and I had about twelve pounds of chopped chicken I needed to divide and freeze.

So today after dropping kids off at school we came home and got some things done around the house. I walked on the treadmill while the kids watched a cartoon. The kids were playing well together, and I got about two bathrooms cleaned before Alyssa just started crying. I did not know what was wrong. I tried picking her up and having her show me what she wanted, but she just kept fussing. Finally I came downstairs and sat down next to her and started reading a book. At first she was crying, but Parker came over to listen. After a few minutes Alyssa calmed down and started getting more books off the shelf and looking at them while I read to Parker. Then Parker started to play with Alyssa's toy food she got for Christmas, and Alyssa was content to just play. I just sat down and spent time with them for about an hour and then we ate lunch. I said yes to spending time one on one with my kids because I said no to something else. I finished cleaning the bathrooms after lunch. While I was home this morning the friend I carpool with called to see if I could pick up the kids after school so she could go to the temple. I was able to say yes to her since I said no to storytime.

This was an important lesson for me to learn today. Before I was called as the Relief Society president I was feeling like I needed to focus more on my own family, so I have wondered why I got a calling to watch over so many others; but today provided insight into how I can make decisions to allow me to do all that will be required of me.

1 comment:

Corri said...

Thanks for sharing. I appreciated your story. I've been struggling lately (as usual!) with how to divide up my time properly.

It sounds like you are doing a really good job with everything.